What to do if you are allergic to silver?
Today we discuss possible allergic reactions to silver jewelry. Why does it happen and how can it be treated?
Professionals say, that most of the time a silver jewelry allergy, in reality, is a nickel or copper allergy. As you might know from our previous posts, silver itself is very soft material and for the jewelry making it is being mixed with other stronger materials. The items from IDenteco store, for example, are made from sterling silver, which means that 92.5 % in the jewelry is pure silver, the rest -other materials (usually copper or nickel).
It is known that around 7-15 % of people can have these allergies. The usual symptoms are the following:
skin color change to green or blue
red flaky skin
itchy and dry skin
In order to treat allergic reactions, moisturize your skin before wearing any silver jewelry. There are special creams or products designed to protect your skin. The alternative is to apply powder to the skin underneath the silver and wearing the jewelry less often and not for a long time.
Always keep silver jewelry and your skin clean, it will help to avoid complications.
I am a huge fan of sterling silver jewelry myself, but until now I cannot wear silver earrings for a long time, especially the heavy ones. However, I cannot refuse to wear them, so I occasionally put them on and keep the problem under control :).